Technical information regarding the implementation of line items via manual trafficking using Google's DoubleClick for Publishers (Ad Manager platform (formerly called DFP) platform. You would choose this solution only if you wish to traffic on your own, or wish to understand the internal workings of this process.
This document describes how to implement PulsePoint's header bidding solution via manual trafficking methods in DoubleClick for Publishers ( Google's Ad Manager platform (formerly called DFP), including setting up line items.
|Table of Contents|
The following actions are necessary to set up your line items in DFPAd Manager:
- Create Order
- Review and Approval of Order
The names of orders, creatives, and line items are examples only. You can work with your own preferences.
1) Decide on the size of your line items (pricing tiers). See Line Items for more information. For example:
3) It is imperative you collaborate closely with your Ad Operations and CMS teams throughout this process, to ensure they understand your required configuration.
1) Sign on with your DFP accountAd Manager account.
2) Click Delivery.
3) Click New Order.
4) On the ORDER: NEW ORDER form, enter all fields:
9) Continue to Task 2 below.
Before you add additional line items, you must add creatives to the line item you just entered. These creatives will carry over to any duplicated line items.
Please ignore the following error if it appears: Sorry, we don't recognize this tag. If you want to track clicks via DFP Ad Manager and avoid counting discrepancies, you must insert the macros manually. Please contact the tag provider for directions on where to place the macros.
10) Continue to Task 3 below.
1) You will a screen such as the following:
3) Click Creatives (1).
4) Continue to the next subsection in this document.
1) Click the name of the creative previously entered.
5) Click Select All to override the remaining sizes. The above screen will now display per the following example.
6) Uncheck the 1x1 checkbox.
7) Click outside the above selection box.
8) Scroll down and click Save.
9) Continue to Task 4 below.
DFP Ad Manager enforces a constraint that one creative can be served only to one ad unit on your page. If a page has four ad units, it requires at least four creatives attached to the line item. Accordingly, you must (in this case) create three additional copies of the creative, for a total of four.
Using four creatives is only our recommended example. If you wish a larger (or smaller) number of creatives, adapt the instructions below appropriately. (Less than four creatives would mean your page has less than four ad units.)
12) You now have (per this example) four instances of this creative; however, the names are not ideal. Proceed to the next section to rename them.
1) Remove all remaining check marks next to your creatives.
2) Write down the names of the four creatives.
3) For each creative you wish to rename:
4) Refresh your browser window.
5) If the window displays a line item instead of the list of creatives.
a) Look for the sequence of tabs near the top of the screen.
b) Click Creatives(4) to bring up the list of creatives.
6) Confirm the creatives' new names display.
7) Continue to Task 5 below.
In this task, you will duplicate the line items for bids above $0.01 (per this example).
$0.01 (Existing pricing tier.)
Modify First Line Item
1) Click Orders (on the left of the screen).
2) Click My orders (below orders).
8) Click Save.
9) If a confirmation message appears at the top of the screen, click Dismiss.
10) Confirm that the line item appears with the new name on the line items list.
Create Additional Line Items
In this section of this document, the following nomenclature applies:
5) Uncheck the checkbox next to your first line item. (It may no longer be the first item listed.)
Modify Second Line Item
1) Right-click the name of the second line item. (The one marked (copy 1) ).
2) Select Open link in new tab
3) Click the new tab you just opened.
4) The line item will display.
10) Scroll down.
11) Click Key-values.
12) In the KEY-VALUES section:
a) Click the keyword (e.g. hb_pb) that you entered in Task 1, Step 8e.
b) Enter (for example)
0.02 > Do not enter the $ sign.
> You must enter two decimal places. Otherwise, header bidding will not function correctly.
13) Click outside the above section.
14) Click Save.
15) If a confirmation message appears at the top of the screen, click Dismiss.
16) Close the current browser tab.
17) Return to the previous browser tab.
18) Refresh your browser window.
19) Confirm that the line item appears with the new name on the line item list.
Change Remaining Line Items
For each line item from (for example) $0.03 to $20.00 (or some other limit):
1) Right-click the name of the first line item that you have not changed.
2) Repeat steps 2 to 17 (except for step 5) from the previous subsection of this document (Modify Second Line Item).
Substitute the appropriate pricing tier for 0.02 in:
> Step 6.
> Step 9.
- Enter only the monetary amount. Do not enter any letters or special characters (e.g. '$').
- You must enter two decimal places. Otherwise, header bidding will not function correctly.
3) The screen will display all line items.
4) Your order is now complete, but only in Draft status. To go live with it, you must approve it. Please proceed to the
next section of this document to perform this operation.
Review and Approval of Order
1) Review the order and make any necessary corrections.
2) Scroll up to the top of the list of line items.
3) Click Approve.
As you have seen, this process is time-consuming, and requires considerable manual effort. Accordingly, please consider using PulsePoint's automated and highly compatible header bidding solution, which will greatly facilitate this process. Please contact PublisherSupport@PulsePoint.com for more information.